Tuesday, January 31, 2017

The Goddesses by Swan Huntley

The GoddessesThe Goddesses by Swan Huntley
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I had previously read We Could Be Beautiful by Swan Huntley and was anxious to read her follow up novel, The Goddesses. In this one, we follow Nancy and her husband Chuck, and their two twin sons on their move to Hawaii from San Diego. It is supposed to be a fresh start for them, Chuck has a new job with Costco, and Nancy is a relatively happy homemaker, although Chuck admitted to cheating on her, hence the fresh start. Nancy enrolls in a yoga class, because well, that's what one does in Kona. There she meets Ana, and the manipulative roller coaster ride begins. Ana starts to take over Nancy's life, inserting herself, and generally becoming an overwhelming force. Ultimately, she even moves into Nancy's home, which I found absolutely amazing, but Nancy would do anything for Ana. Mistake,mistake, mistake. This was an okay book for me. Right at the start, it was fairly obvious that Ana was a highly unstable, manipulative character, much more nuanced and complicated than Nancy. I felt Nancy was under-written, she didn't have much personality at all. But maybe that was the point. She was completely moldable. It sort of felt improbable that a grown woman could be so easily manipulated and played by another grown woman, but alas, it happened in this story. Just so-so for me. Netgalley.com kindly provided me a free copy of this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment