Sunday, September 18, 2016

Review: Safe With Me by K.L. Slater

First let me say, just WOW. It has been a long time since I read a book this good. I was completely spellbound by this psychological thriller and could hardly put it down. I love a good British mystery, yet Safe With Me went far beyond my expectations in every way. This is such a great debut novel by K.L. Slater, I hardly know where to start. The protagonist is Anna, a really hurt individual who is plagued with OCD symptoms and works at the Royal Mail Service. She does her job well, but things start to slip, things go awry and she stops delivering some of the mail. Why? Because she witnessed a horrible accident whereby a motorcyclist gets hit by a vehicle. It just so happens that said vehicle is driven by someone from Anna's past and from there the terror and weirdness begins. Not only does Anna think she recognizes the driver of the car, but she thinks this person is responsible in some way for the death of Anna's younger brother Danny, thirteen years earlier. Anna goes on a quest to insinuate herself into the life of the victim of the accident, Liam; in order to get to the driver of the car that hit Liam. Whew! To say that this book is good is a huge understatement. I felt like I was reading a version of Ruth Rendell, and a highly polished version at that. This book is that good. This book is that nuanced and foreboding that you can read it in one sitting. There are so many secrets, backstories, and undercurrents, and this wonderful feeling of dread throughout, it is like nectar for the reader. I highly recommend this book for anyone who loves a psychological thriller. I am looking forward to the next book from K.L. Slater. She has knocked this one out of the proverbial park. Many thanks to netgalley.com for providing me a free advance copy of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment